SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
Last week, we discussed what the Sacrament of Confirmation is, who confers it on an individual and how it is administered.
Today, we shall discuss briefly how this sacrament benefits us.
The Effects of Confirmation
It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the sacrament of Confirmation is the special outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.
The Sacrament of Confirmation bestows on us the following graces:
1. it roots us more deeply in our relationship with God which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!” (Rom. 8:15);
2. it unites us more firmly to Christ;
3. it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
4. it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
5. it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross. (CCC 1303)
Like Baptism which it completes, Confirmation is given only once, for it too imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual mark, the “character,” which is the sign that Jesus Christ has marked a Christian with the seal of his Spirit by clothing him with power from on high so that he may be his witness. (CCC 1304)
Every baptized person not yet confirmed can and should receive the sacrament of Confirmation. (Canon 889).
Since Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist form a unity, it follows that “the faithful are obliged to receive this sacrament at the appropriate time” (Canon 889), for without Confirmation and Eucharist, Baptism is certainly valid and efficacious, but Christian initiation remains incomplete. (CCC 1306)
For centuries, Latin custom has indicated “the age of discretion” as the reference point for receiving Confirmation. But in danger of death children should be confirmed even if they have not yet attained the age of discretion.
Both Baptism and Confirmation require that we get a sponsor or godparent.
Let’s meet next week to discuss who sponsors/godparents are, who qualifies to be one and what roles they play in our christian journey.
God bless you.
(WhatsApp number: +233 541 859198)
(You may whatsapp your questions and contributions for further clarifications)